By Kirk Bauer, Nate Campi
Even if you would like a community of ten Linux computers and a server or an information heart with a couple of thousand UNIX nodes, you must know the way to automate a lot of the set up, configuration, and conventional method administration.
Build your community as soon as utilizing cfengine, and the community construct will paintings, with out consumer intervention, on any you wish. Automating Linux and Unix procedure management, moment version is exclusive in its specialize in the way to make the procedure administrator's task more straightforward and extra effective: rather than simply handling the procedure administrator's time, the booklet explains the know-how to automate repetitive projects and the method to automate successfully.
* either new and professional pros will take advantage of industry–leading insights into the automation process.
*System directors will reach an intensive take hold of of cfengine, kickstart, and shell scripting for automation.
*After interpreting all chapters and following all workouts during this booklet, the reader may be capable of manage something from a Linux info heart to a small place of work community.
Read Online or Download Automating Linux and Unix System Administration (2nd Edition) PDF
Similar unix books
The entire worthy examine fabric for the RHCE Certification examination, RH302. complete insurance of each examination element and assistance for passing the examination are integrated. The CD-ROM comprises hundreds of thousands of perform questions, a Sybex side trying out engine, pattern transportable digital flashcards for desktops and Palm units, and a searchable digital replica of the textual content.
Linux is an open-source, Unix-like working approach that has develop into a manageable computing device approach for plenty of clients, specially these concerned with procedure and community management. pink Hat Linux has remained a number one selection of Linux distributions for years, possessing greater than eighty percentage of the U. S. Linux marketplace.
* Christopher Negus is the bestselling writer of crimson Hat Linux eight Bible (0-7645-4968-5) and previous models, with greater than 125,000 copies offered * Readers discover ways to construct 16 enjoyable and beneficial units for domestic and workplace, utilizing spare elements and unfastened software program * initiatives contain reworking an answering computer into an email converter, development an MP3 tune jukebox, construction a motor vehicle leisure middle, and making a television video recorder/player * initiatives paintings with any model of Linux * significant other site contains really expert drivers and software program interfaces, plus track and online game software program
- Guide to UNIX Using Linux (4th Edition)
- UNIX System V.4: Begriffe, Konzepte, Kommandos, Schnittstellen
- Introducing Linux Distros
- Inside Solaris 9
- Shell Programming in Unix, Linux and OS X
Extra info for Automating Linux and Unix System Administration (2nd Edition)
Seeing Everything As a File One of the core strengths of UNIX and UNIX-like operating systems is the fact that almost everything on the system is represented to the user as a file. Both real and pseudo devices (such as +`ar+jqhh, +`ar+vank, and so on) can be read from and (often) written to as normal files. This capability has made many operations easy, when the same results would be difficult to attain under other operating systems. Be thankful for the UNIX heritage of being written for and by programmers.
Who has been accessing each system and what have they been doing? Most systems provide process accounting—a log of every executed process, the user who executed it, and the amount of time it was running. You usually have to enable this logging because it can consume quite a bit of drive space. The problem is that when you see that nkkp executed the command ni)nb+dkia+&, how do you know who did it? You know that the nkkp user ran it, but who was logged in as nkkp at that time? Did you make an unfortunate typo, or did the pissed-off employee who quit yesterday do it on purpose?
Certain operations might prove tricky, but most of what we’re doing should be familiar to UNIX SAs. Understanding the Procedure Before Automating It We’ve seen many administrators open a cfengine config file to automate a task and end up sitting there, unsure of what to do. It’s an easy mistake to make when you need to modify many hosts and want to start the automation right away. The reason they ended up drawing a blank is that they weren’t ready to effect changes on even a single host. They needed first to figure out how to reach the desired state.