By Nathan Campi, Kirk Bauer
Whether you wish a community of ten Linux computers and a server or a datacenter with a number of thousand Unix nodes, you want to know the way to automate a lot of the deploy, configuration, and traditional method management.
Build your community as soon as utilizing cfengine, and the community construct will paintings, with no consumer intervention, on any you wish. Automating Linux and Unix method management, moment Edition is exclusive in its specialize in how one can make the procedure administratorвЂ™s activity more uncomplicated and extra effective: rather than simply dealing with the approach administratorвЂ™s time, the booklet explains the expertise to automate repetitive initiatives and the technique to automate successfully.
- Both new and professional pros will cash in on industryвЂ“leading insights into the automation process.
- System directors will reach an intensive snatch of cfengine, kickstart, and shell scripting for automation.
- After interpreting all chapters and following all routines during this e-book, the reader might be in a position to organize something from a Linux datacenter to a small workplace network.
What youвЂ™ll learn
See the way to make adjustments on many UNIX and Linux hosts straight away in a competent and repeatable demeanour.
- Learn the best way to automate issues accurately so that you merely need to do it as soon as, through leveraging the authorsвЂ™ event in constructing small, medium, and big networks.
- Set up a Linux datacenter or a community correctly.
- Explore dealing with realвЂ“world environments the place no longer all hosts are configured alike through a case research of a fictional new datacenter buildout.
- Examine realвЂ“world examples for middle infrastructure prone (DNS, mail, tracking, log research, safeguard, cfengine, imaging) to construct on on your environment.
- Understand center method management most sensible practices, that are a key a part of how cfengine and automations deployments are defined within the book.
- Learn the way to make adjustments reversible, repeatable, and proper the 1st time via interplay with product/application stakeholders (programmers, product managers, clients, etc.).
Who is that this booklet for?
This ebook is for Linux procedure directors who are looking to find out about the software program and method to automate repetitive tasksвЂ”regardless of community or datacenter sizeвЂ”in one position. procedure managers also will locate it a lot more straightforward to consider community expertise and automation initiatives in the event that they learn this ebook. This ebook can also be for a person who's attracted to repeatable and safe infrastructure.
Read Online or Download Automating Linux and Unix System Administration, PDF
Similar unix books
All the useful examine fabric for the RHCE Certification examination, RH302. complete assurance of each examination aspect and suggestions for passing the examination are incorporated. The CD-ROM comprises 1000s of perform questions, a Sybex aspect checking out engine, pattern moveable digital flashcards for computers and Palm units, and a searchable digital replica of the textual content.
Linux is an open-source, Unix-like working method that has develop into a manageable computer method for lots of clients, specifically these concerned with procedure and community management. pink Hat Linux has remained a number one collection of Linux distributions for years, possessing greater than eighty percentage of the U. S. Linux marketplace.
* Christopher Negus is the bestselling writer of purple Hat Linux eight Bible (0-7645-4968-5) and prior models, with greater than 125,000 copies offered * Readers learn how to construct 16 enjoyable and valuable units for domestic and place of work, utilizing spare components and unfastened software program * tasks contain reworking an answering computer into an email converter, development an MP3 song jukebox, development a vehicle leisure middle, and making a television video recorder/player * initiatives paintings with any model of Linux * spouse site contains really expert drivers and software program interfaces, plus song and online game software program
- Building Embedded Linux Systems (2nd Edition)
- Using SSH
- Sams Teach Yourself Mandrake Linux in 24 Hours
- Sams Teach Yourself UNIX System Administration in 24 Hours
- Guide to UNIX Using Linux (4th Edition)
- The Definitive Guide to PC-BSD
Additional resources for Automating Linux and Unix System Administration,
29 30 C HAPTER 3 US ING S S H TO A U TOMA TE S YS TEM A D M I N I S T R A T I O N S E C U R E LY Using Public-Key Authentication Many SAs are more than happy to use SSH with its default password authentication. In this case, SSH simply functions as a more secure version of Telnet. The problem is that you need to enter a password manually for every operation. This can become quite tedious, or even impossible, when you are automating SA tasks. For most of the activities throughout this book, you must use RSA or DSA authentication.
Here’s an overview of the automated change development process: a specific directory tree. that you achieve the desired effects. CHAPTER 2 A P P LY I N G P R A C T I C A L A U T O M A T I O N So with automation, you simply take the solid work that you already do manually and speed it up. The side effect is that you also reduce the errors involved when deploying the change across all the systems at your site.
When it comes to automating system administration tasks across multiple systems, passwords are a real pain. If you want to delete a file on ten different machines, logging into each machine with a password and then deleting the file is not very efficient. In the past, many system administrators turned to nod for a solution. , nkkp) on a specific machine to log in as a particular user (again, often nkkp) on another machine. Unfortunately, the entire authorization scheme relies on the IP address of the source machine, which can be spoofed, particularly on an unsecure network.