By Adam Goldstein
AppleScript: The lacking handbook is each beginner's consultant to studying the Macintosh's final scripting device: AppleScript. via dozens of hands-on scripting examples, this complete advisor guarantees that anybody together with beginners can the right way to keep an eye on Mac functions in timesaving and cutting edge methods. because of AppleScript: The lacking handbook, the trail from average Mac fan to pro scripter hasn't ever been more uncomplicated.
Read or Download AppleScript: The Missing Manual PDF
Similar unix books
All the important examine fabric for the RHCE Certification examination, RH302. complete insurance of each examination element and tips for passing the examination are incorporated. The CD-ROM comprises hundreds and hundreds of perform questions, a Sybex area trying out engine, pattern moveable digital flashcards for computers and Palm units, and a searchable digital replica of the textual content.
Linux is an open-source, Unix-like working method that has develop into a achievable laptop procedure for plenty of clients, specifically these concerned with procedure and community management. crimson Hat Linux has remained a number one collection of Linux distributions for years, possessing greater than eighty percentage of the U. S. Linux industry.
* Christopher Negus is the bestselling writer of crimson Hat Linux eight Bible (0-7645-4968-5) and previous models, with greater than 125,000 copies offered * Readers discover ways to construct 16 enjoyable and necessary units for domestic and place of work, utilizing spare components and unfastened software program * tasks comprise remodeling an answering desktop into an email converter, construction an MP3 tune jukebox, development a vehicle leisure middle, and making a television video recorder/player * initiatives paintings with any model of Linux * spouse site contains really expert drivers and software program interfaces, plus song and video game software program
- Mastering FreeBSD and OpenBSD Security
- Design of the UNIX Operating System
- MAC OS X UNIX Toolbox: 1000+ Commands for the Mac OS X
- Just Enough Unix
- Learning Unix for OS X: Going Deep With the Terminal and Shell
Additional info for AppleScript: The Missing Manual
That might seem like a minor difference, but it highlights an important fact of AppleScript life: scripts come in different formats. 1)and, perhaps, to post your own scripts thereyou first have to understand the different formats AppleScript supports. You can open any AppleScript-supported file by dragging it onto Script Editor's icon in the Finder or Dock. To save a script in a different format, you use the File Format pop-up menu in the Save dialog box (Figure 2-5). scpt file extension. app file extension (just like regular Mac OS X programs).
To make the script open the Users folder, for example, you'd follow this procedure: 1. Replace Applications with Users. File names have to be surrounded in double quotes, so make sure you don't delete the quotation marks. 2. Click the Run button to test your script. You should see the Finder come forward and display the Users folder. 3. Choose File Save As (Shift- -S). scpt, make sure the File Format is set to Script, and save it in the Library Scripts Navigation Scripts folder. 4. Open your Script Menu, and run your new script from the Navigation Scripts submenu.
Your scripts don't have to be inside a subfolder at all; if you'd like, you can just leave them floating in the Library Scripts folder. That way, they'll appear directly in the Script Menuyou won't have to navigate through submenus to get to them . Figure 1-9. Here, the Navigation scripts (everything from New Applications Window to Open Special Window) were moved into the Finder Scripts subfolder. Then, the Navigation Scripts folder was deleted, leaving a Script Menu like this. You might want to merge the scripts from other folders, too.